Thursday, October 13, 2011

Angie


As I pack my studio, and prepare for my move to the Northwest, I can't help but reflect on the past eight years since I arrived in Colorado. There was college, climbing trip weekends, a mild obsession with intaglio etching, working for the Women's Wilderness Institute and Outward Bound, yoga instructor training, a brief stint at CP&B, the Eldorado Springs Art Center years, my NYC interlude... all along there have been so many inspiring people who have supported me, but today I'm going to honor just one: Angela Olsgard.

Some of you Boulderites may know her as "Angie Star." Angie is the owner of jewelry shop that is unlike another. She treats her customers like close friends, and her staff like family.

I first met Angie as a her customer. During college I visited the store to pick out a birthday gift for my mom. I remember Angie kindly and warmly showing me about the store and helping me find something with the January birthstone. I could see girls working in the metal studio at the back of the store... laughing, hammering- it looked like so much fun!

After graduating from college, I perused Craigslist almost hourly for possible jobs. One morning, I found a posting for an apprenticeship at Angie Star Jewelry and almost spit out my tea in excitement. Soon, Angie welcomed me into the Angie Star world. Each day during my apprenticeship, Angie would teach me a new technique, like how to saw shapes from sheet metal, or how to hand make French wires. I was tentative at first, often asking if I was making things correctly and Angie would respond, "It's Beautiful!!! Miranda, look what Britta made!" I didn't always believe that my work was quite so praiseworthy, but soon, I wasn't afraid to try new techniques, or make up my own. I was introduced to jewelry in a positive environment, with no hard rules, and a lot of giggly girl talk. Even now, years into my jewelry education and practice, Angie is still teaching me new skills and answering my questions buying supplies, advanced techniques, and running a business. Angie knows.

Perhaps the most valuable lesson I've learned from Angie is how to juggle... life, that is, not bowling pins. Let me paint a picture for you. One day I was in the shop when Angie came in to complete a custom order requiring that special "Angie touch." The customer had a tight deadline, and called twice in one hour to check on the status. While Angie was trying to focus on her detailed metal work, I periodically asked questions about pricing, where to find a particular drill bit, and, "by the way, how do you do a prong setting?" When I wasn't demanding her attention, Angie's lovely sister was calling for suggestions about a wedding present she was buying. I could hear Angie provide genuine insights about which bowl to choose, even on her sister's third call. Angie's husband, Rob, came in with their beautiful baby girl who needed feeding from Angie. Michelle made sure it was clear that this feeding was required NOW. At about this same time, the accountant arrived and started asking Angie to recall ancient passwords. "Ring, Ring, Ring!" Yep, it's the customer asking if Angie has completed that custom order yet. Had I been in Angie's shoes that day, there would have been some passive aggressive rudeness, maybe even tears. Not Angie. She remained cool, calm, kind, and staggeringly sensitive to the needs of all those around her.

Angie, thanks so much for all of your support over the years. I feel so lucky to know you and can't imagine what career I'd be pursuing without your example, but I know I wouldn't love it was much as I love making jewelry... and doing it over lots of girl talk.

1 comment:

jetha.angiestarjewelry said...

really beautiful post Britta! lovely getting to know you and bon voyage :) jetha